Thursday, April 26, 2012

Oma's Quilt

Of all the quilts I've made, I really do think this one gets top billing as a favorite.  I made this for my Mom for Christmas in 2010.  My kids call her "Oma", which is German for Grandmother.


The pattern was adapted from a Moda Bake Shop tutorial.  The "recipe" called for a layer cake, and I substituted charm squares and added borders.


I'm consistently drawn to Fig Tree fabrics.  The color palettes that she uses are always directly in line with my liking.  But this Fresh Cotton line was particularly captivating to me.  So soft and fresh.


I love the tiny, dainty prints and the general "old time" look of these fabrics.  The colors are intense, yet calming.  It's just a great look.  I think this pattern really showcased the fabrics well too.

I stippled this quilt with a creamy yellow thread.  I did this on my old machine (my new one was a gift that year!) and the thread gave me absolute fits.  I bought it for its color, but the entire experience caused me to forever pledge my loyalty to Aurafil, which is my FAVORITE brand.


I went whole hog on the back.  I usually piece quilt backs because in addition to giving it a fun look, it is far more economical.  However, I bought yardage of my favorite print for this back.  It was a worthwhile splurge.  This print completely reminded me of the wallpaper in my grandmother's spare bedroom that I used to sleep in as a little girl.

I love this fabric.  Bunches.


The flower basket embroidery design was a freebie from my LQS, and the verse Hannah chose was Psalm 33:4.




The Lord has indeed been faithful to my sweet Mom in so many ways throughout the years.  I knew she would be grateful for the reminders of that truth.



I couldn't believe my Mom actually let me put the new puppy on her quilt for photos.  :-)

(I won't show you the ones where the dog has big mouthfuls of this quilt hanging from her jowls.  That would only prove upsetting to my mother.  Hee hee...)


Thanks for letting me share Oma's Quilt.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Brooke!
    Thanks for the sweet comment about my quilt! Your Oma quilt is beeeeautiful too! I love your stitching on the back as well. And the sweet pup is just darling. :)
    Have a wonderful day!
    Shann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this quilt and love the fabrics you used. I'd like to make it with some of my 40s prints. Do you happen to remember the name of the pattern? I've been perusing Moda Bake Shop but haven't found it yet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pattern I used is called Tiffany Diamonds and is on Moda Bake Shop from December of 2010. They used a layer cake, but I altered the pattern and used charm squares instead.

    ReplyDelete