Friday, June 17, 2011

Looking Back: Nature Quilt for a Nature Girl

I completed this quilt in April of 2010, in honor of my daughter's 17th birthday.

Deb Strain's Cherish Nature fabric line was the perfect choice for my nature loving girl.  I chose a very simple design utilizing a layer cake and jelly roll, and emphasized the graphic layout with straight line quilting.  The thin sashing is Kona white.


I set the quilt on her chair in her bedroom, so it was a surprise when she woke up on her birthday.  It was hard to find chunks of time when she was away from home to work on this, so as I neared my deadline I had to coax a few friends into inviting her out for sleep overs so I could work!


I had a bit of a tricky time with the backing, but after shuffling lots of scraps, I'm happy with the outcome.  I wished the pieced border would have extended the entire length of the quilt, but I got over it.


 I sketched out a butterfly that was on one of the focus fabrics, and I embroidered that on the quilt label.  I had so much fun with that, and liked the outcome so much, that I have embroidered a little something on all my subsequent quilts.  It's become a little trademark.  :-)



 I made it big enough that it can someday be used on a twin bed if she chooses.


My oldest.  She keeps me balanced, inspires me to be a better person, and has no doubt taught me more than I could ever teach her.  She's my favorite person in the world to go antiquing with, to eat chips and queso with, to be lost on a road trip with, and to make a nature quilt for.  Love this girl.


4 comments:

  1. I'm sure she will cherish that quilt forever! Their is nothing more special than the bond between mother and daughter. She sounds like a super gal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful young girl with her special quilt made by her mother with love. It has your unique touch of embroidery also. She will cherish this quilt for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it is perfect! And she looks very happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty! I love this fabric line. great job.

    ReplyDelete