Thursday, June 16, 2011

Making Piece In Central Park


I ordered a jelly roll of Kate Spain's Central Park line and cut it into 2.5 inch squares with the intention of using it for a quilt along, but quickly changed my mind.  The colors were too bold for what I really wanted.  So, I've had a pyrex mixing bowl sitting on the corner of my sewing desk brimming with these squares and begging for some attention.  I immediately knew who I wanted to give this quilt to, but I've had a really hard time coming up with a pattern that excited me.  I think part of my problem is that although I really like some of these fabrics on their own, I'm not sure I love how they look as a group.  I tend to go a bit more traditional in my fabric selection, and this one might be a bit too "retro" and "hip" for a fabric frump like me!

I have a horrible habit of setting things aside, but for some reason I can't seem to let this one go.  I'm determined to see this thing through, so I keep trying to make some peace and fall in love with this design idea.  I've issued myself a little challenge; the daily half dozen.  I'm hoping to have enough fabric to complete thirty squares for this quilt.  So, if I do just six squares a day, I can have this baby ready to assemble in a week.  I'm making myself work on the six squares before I can move on to any other sewing project every day this week.

There are worse things than spending a little time in Central Park each day, right?? I'm off to tackle six squares!

2 comments:

  1. I need to step out of my comfort zone too and try something different. I think that fabric would appeal to many, and even make a cute baby quilt for a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stepping outside of our comfort zone is often liberating. I do love Central Park and the white is calming with it.

    ReplyDelete