Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Scrappy Makes Me Happy


I'm working on my FIRST ever scrap quilt.  See, here's the thing.....when I finish a quilt project, do you know what I do with all my leftover fabrics?

I throw them away.

I know.  I'm like a quilting heretic.

I'm not much of a saver to begin with, and I don't have a lot of storage space in my sewing area.  So, I'm pretty selective about the scraps that I save.  (I do piece my backs to try to use as much fabric as possible in each quilt, so I'm not completely hopeless.)

Anyway, I admire stash builders and their ability to pull the perfect yellow print out of a hat.  I figure the guilt I feel from throwing away scraps may potentially be less severe than the guilt I'd feel hanging on to all of them and never using them??  That's why it was a little bit of a crazy moment when, at the Dallas Quilt Show this year, I bought an entire bag of scraps from the Bonnie Blue booth.

I carelessly toss my own scraps aside, yet I feel some sort of moral obligation to rescue someone else's scrap?  And to pay money to do it?   I don't know how to account for it.

Anyway, I'm crazy about Bonnie Blue's quilts and fabrics both, so I ironed up my new bits and pieces and I've been playing around with them.  Scrap quilts are really fun, and more than just a little addictive.  If I'm not careful, I might just find myself hoarding a little scrap stash sometime soon!!

I'll keep you posted on the progress of this one...

1 comment:

  1. Good for you not hoarding too much stash. If you buy new for each project, everything is fresh and exciting. Pulling from your stash sometimes gets boring and our taste change. I'm trying to eliminate as much as I can, but it is neverending. You got some great scraps from Bonnie Blue

    ReplyDelete